Project HEAL: Health Education Advocacy and Law
The HEAL Project supports Community Legal Aid's mission by finding solutions to non-medical barriers that keep people from being healthy. Through medical-legal partnerships, community collaborations, and policy advocacy, project staff provide holistic legal services to improve disparate health and learning outcomes related to students with special learning needs, infant and maternal health, and chronic disease.
What are the legal determinants of health?
A medical-legal partnership allows for a holistic look at the personal legal issues that impact a patient's or population's health. These impacts may be housing, education, employment, domestic violence, income stability, and access to care.
How does HEAL work?
Community Legal Aid currently is accepting client referrals from our partnership organizations (listed below). Patients are then assessed for eligibility for legal assistance.
- Akron Children's Hospital
- Summa Health Women's Center
- University of Akron School of Nursing Center for Community Health
Want more information?
For more information on HEAL, contact the project team here, or tweet us @CommLegalAid #HEAL
- For more information or data/research on medical-legal partnerships, visit the National Center for Medical-Leagal Partnership.
- For information on Ohio's health policy, visit the Health Policy Institute of Ohio.
- For information on healthcare reform and it's impact on Ohio, visit the Governor's Office of Health Transformation.