Earned Income Tax Credit


If you are a parent, you may be eligible to receive the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) if your child passes the following "tests:"

Relationship test: A child can be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, sibling, half-sibling, step-sibling, or a descendant of any of them.

Age test: Your child must be under age 19, a full-time student under 24, younger than you or your spouse (if filing jointly), or permanently and totally disabled any time during the tax year.

Residency test: Your child must have lived with you in the U.S. for more than six months of the tax yera.



If you're eligible to claim the EITC, you should do so, even if your children's other parent already has. You may be entitled to the credit.

To qualify:

  • You must be a U.S. citzen or alien resident.
  • You must have earned income.
  • You cannot file your taxes as "Married Filing Separately."
  • You and your children must each have social security numbers.



Contact us:

  • to determine if you are eligible for the ETIC.
  • For help with an ETIC claim that has been audited due to an EITC claim already filing by the other parent.


Disclaimers: The LITC is funded in part by a grant from the Internal Revenue Service. All conversations with your attorney are confidential. We are not a tax preparation service; the LITC does not generally provide tax return preparation.