Summer Associate Program: Family Law Project
The Family Law Summer Associate will have immediate contact with clients, will draft documents, and will shadow attorneys at hearings as part of Legal Aid's Legal Assistance to Victims Project. The summer associate will be assigned an attorney with an ongoing caseload. The summer associate will gain valuable litigation experience and will know that he/she/they has assisted victims of abuse and those needing custody/visitation and divorce assistance. The attorney and managing attorney will evaluate the intern.
- Conduct screening and client interviews with clients seeking to obtain civil protection orders against abusers.
- Conduct factual investigations including client interviews, requesting and reviewing court, medical, and other records, searching public records, etc.
- Attend hearings, trials and outreach events
- Conduct legal research
- Draft pleadings / research memoranda / correspondence
- Such other tasks as may be assigned
- Demonstrated interest in and sensitivity to the legal needs of the poor as well as motivation to improve the condition of the poor
- Strong research/writing backgrounds
- Personal characteristics include: excellent interpersonal skills, first-rate oral and written communications skills, professional attitude, discretion, diplomacy and tact, ability to relate to professionals, strong analytical and organizational skills, and high dependability
- Strong interest for students with their Intern Certificate
- Proficient in Microsoft Word and Internet research tools
- Ability to speak a foreign language is highly desirable