Parenthood Toolkit: Forms for Custody




When you are ready for file in court for custody, you will need to fill out all the following forms:

  • Complaint: This document asks the court to establish custody.
  • Child Custody Affidavit: This document is required with any filing for parenting time or custody.
  • Parenting Plan or Shared Parenting Plan: These forms tell the court the plan you and your child’s other parent have agreed to.
  • Motion to Change Custody Order: This form asks the court to change the current custody agreement for your child.
  • Motion for Contempt: This form asks the court to enforce a current custody order your child’s other parent isn’t following.
  • Income Affidavit: This document is often required with new filings. It tells the court about your income.
  • Poverty Affidavit: This document asks the court to waive your filing fees based on your low-income status.
  • Service document: This document is required for new and reopened cases. It notifies the other parent that you have filed something in court regarding your child.

Click here to learn more about child custody and your rights as a parent.