Child Support Enforcement Agency

At your request, the Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) must:


Attempt to find missing parents of minor children even when the parent lives out of the county, state or USA.


Establish paternity (determine who the father is) except when:

  • The child is over 23 years old;

  • The parents are divorcing; or

  • The child was born during a marriage.

Set up initial child support and medical order for parents of minor children or children under age 20 who have not graduated from high school IF

  • Parents are married, but not living  together;

  • Parents are divorced and no child support was ordered; or

  • The parents never married.

Enforce existing child support and medical expense orders.


Collect current and past due child support payments by:

  • Payroll deduction;

  • Income tax interceptions; and

  • Other methods.

Attempt to locate the employers of parents owing child support.


Collect past due child support by taking the non-paying parent’s federal and state income tax funds IF:

  • That parent files a return;

  • That parent is waiting for a refund;  AND

  • The unpaid child support is over $500 for the federal program and over $250 for the state program.

Establish paternity, child support and medical orders against out of state mothers or fathers.


Enforce existing child support orders if the parent is living in another state or certain foreign countries through payroll deduc$ons or wri%en requests for enforcement to collection agencies in the other state or country every 30 days.


Change existing support orders IF:

  • The order is over 3 years old;

  • There has been a change in medical insurance;

  • A child has turned 18 or graduated from high school;

  • There has been a 30% change in income; or

  • Other good cause.

End a child support order or medical insurance order IF a child has:

  • Turned 19;

  • Turned 18 and graduated from high school;

  • Married;

  • Enlisted in the armed forces;

  • Died; or

  • A custody change has been ordered.

The CSEA cannot set up (initial) orders if:

  • The child is over 19 years of age; or

  • The court has not granted custody to the person requesting support.

  • Disabled children may have additional rights to receive child support. Parents must contact an attorney while their child is less than 18 years old.

If the CSEA does not do what the law requires, you may:

  • Ask for a state hearing.

  • Mail a written request for a hearing;

  • Call or write the local CSEA;

  • Put your request for a hearing and complaint in writing, or;

  • Call the CSEA district offices:

CSEA district office numbers:

Canton - 1-800-686-1569

Cleveland - 1-800-686-1551


Contact your local Child Support Enforcement Agency:

COLUMBIANA 330-424-7781

MAHONING 330-740-2073

MEDINA 330-722-9398

PORTAGE 330-297-3459

STARK 330-451-8930

SUMMIT 330-643-2765

TRUMBULL 330-675-2732

WAYNE 330-287-5600


You have the right to:

  • Look at much of your case file and get free copies of documents that you might need;

  • Read the Child Support Enforcement Manual used by the CSEA office;

  • Have a friend, relative or attorney represent you at the hearing;

  • Ask for and bring any papers or witnesses to help you prove your case. A letter from your witness will be accepted if it is signed and notarized.

At the state hearing, the hearing officer will:

  • Listen to both sides;

  • Tape the hearing; and

  • Accept all documents.

After the hearing:

  • The hearing officer will write a decision and send it to you and the CSEA in the mail, and

  • You may get a free copy of the tape by contacting the district office.

Options other than your local CSEA

You have the right to hire a private attorney to enforce your existing child support order.


You can get the following information about your case by calling:


1. The address and telephone number of your county’s CSEA office;

2. The total amount owed on your child support case;

3. The date and amount of the last check received by CSEA; and

4. The date and amount of the last check issued to you.