Now that your divorce is final, you may have questions. This pamphlet provides you with information on who to contact and where to turn for answers.

Where to turn for help:

Child support: If you are having problems with enforcement of your child support order you should contact your county’s Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA).

  • Columbiana- (330) 424-7781, 1-800-353-0125
  • Mahoning - (330) 740-2073, 1-800-528-9511
  • Medina - (330) 722-9398, 1-800-706-2732
  • Portage - (330) 297-3459, 1-800-876-9544
  • Stark - (330) 451-8939, 1-800-339- 0349
  • Summit - (330) 643-2765, 1-800-726-2765
  • Trumbull - (330) 675-2732, 1-800-720-2732
  • Wayne - (330) 287-5600, 1-800-216-6636

If there is a material change in circumstances, you can file a Motion to Modify Child Support with the court that issued your divorce decree or you can request that the CSEA modify your previous child support order.

Notice of Intent to Relocate: If you are moving, you will need to notify the CSEA of your new information.

Spousal support CSEA administers spousal support payments.

Visitation: If your visitation (parenting time) order is being denied you can file a Motion for Contempt for Denying Visitation. If you would like to change an existing visitation (parenting time) schedule, you must file a Motion to Modify Visitation. File your Motion in the same court where your divorce decree was granted. You must provide the court with a reason or reasons for your request.

Custody: If circumstances have changed regarding you or your child since the original custody order was issued, you can file a Motion to Modify Custody in the court which issued your divorce. You will need to provide evidence and examples of the changes to convince the court that a modified order or a change needs to be issued.

Name change: You may return to any prior name after your divorce. If you would like to change your name after your divorce is final, you will need to file an application at your county’s probate court.

Harassment from a former spouse: If your former spouse is harassing, you can seek a Civil Protection Order

Suspected child abuse: If you suspect that your ex-spouse is abusing your child, you should contact your county’s Public Children Service Agency (PCSA)

  • Columbiana- (330) 424-1471, After hours: (330) 424-7767
  • Mahoning- (330) 783-0411
  • Medina- (330) 722-9283, After hours: (330) 725-6631
  • Portage- (330) 297-3750, After hours: (330) 296-2273
  • Stark- (330) 451-8846, After hours: 1-800-233-5437
  • Summit- (330) 379-9094, After hours: (330) 379-1880
  • Trumbull- (330) 372-3446, After hours: (330) 372-2010
  • Wayne- (330) 345-5340, After hours: (330) 345-5340

Retirement- Social Security If you were married to your former spouse for over ten (10) years, you will be entitled to a portion of his or her Social Security payments once you reach age 62.

QDRO If you move, you will need to inform the QDRO plan administrator of your new address.

Tax Issues

  • If you receive child support, it is not taxable. If you pay child support, it is not deductible.
  • In general, spousal support is taxed to the person who receives it and deductible to the person who pays it because it is considered income. However, this is not always a simple issues and may only apply if certain requirements are met.

Debt allocation If a creditor tries to get you to pay a debt that your ex-spouse was ordered to pay, or if your ex-spouse is simply not paying on a debt he or she was ordered to pay, you may file a Motion for Contempt in the Domestic Relations Court that granted your divorce.

Bankruptcy If your ex-spouse files for bankruptcy, he or she may be protected from his creditor’s collection efforts. If the debt belonged to both you and your ex-spouse, regardless of the Domestic Relations Court order, the creditor can continue to collect the debt from you. Remember: Creditor’s do not have to honor the terms of your divorce order.

CLAS agreed to represent you for your divorce and only your divorce. After your divorce is finalized you will need to call and reapply with CLAS for any post decree motions. There is no guarantee that your case will be accepted.




This article is meant to give you general information and not to give you specific legal advice.
Prepared by Community Legal Aid Services, Inc. Updated May 2012.