Supervising Attorney - Akron - #1802
Position Announcement # 1802
Supervising Attorney – HEAL Team
Community Legal Aid is a private non-profit law firm which works to bridge the gap between poverty and justice for those in need. Legal Aid is the primary provider of free civil legal representation to low income and elderly residents of central northeast Ohio, concentrating its efforts on legal work that makes a difference in the lives of those it serves.
The Health Education Advocacy and Law Program (HEAL) at Legal Aid is a medical legal partnership that collaborates with healthcare providers to assist families with legal problems that potentially impact patient health. The HEAL Team is launching the Learning is for Everyone (LIFE) Project to transform access to education for children with disabilities.
The Supervising Attorney:
- Under the direction of the Managing Attorney, is responsible for supervision, management, and direction of the day-to-day operation of the HEAL Team and the LIFE Project to ensure the effective and efficient delivery of high quality legal assistance in conformance with the highest standards of the profession, the Ohio Rules of Professional Conduct, and the CLAS Standards of Practice.
- Creates an effective and efficient office environment to support the provision of high quality legal services.
- Works integrally with HEAL team members as both leader and learner to enhance the team relationships and team collaboration.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations with client groups, community organizations and the state justice community.
- Pursues and maintains personal professional development and contributes to the professional development of others who serve clients and the client community.
- As a member of the management team, brings vision, leadership, collegiality and reliability to the implementation of the organization’s mission.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Experience with education law is preferred.
- Personal characteristics include: excellent oral and written advocacy skills, desire to learn new skills, professional attitude, first rate interpersonal skills, use of diplomacy and tact, ability to relate to professionals, strong analytical and organizational skills, good judgment, trustworthiness, and dependability.
- Demonstrated interest in and sensitivity to the legal needs of the poor as well as motivation to improve the condition of the poor.
- Demonstrated ability to learn, analyze and apply concepts of substantive and procedural law.
- License to practice law in Ohio.
- Past supervisory experience is highly desirable.
- Good working knowledge of all computer programs and office machines used by the firm and ability to learn new programs and machines as required.
- Ability to speak Spanish and experience working with Limited English Proficient individuals are highly desirable
- The HEAL Supervising Attorney will be expected to go through process to become a volunteer with Akron Children’s Hospital and any other medical location with whom HEAL collaborates. As part of that process, HEAL Supervising Attorney will be required to (1) show proof of vaccination for measles, (2) show proof of vaccination for or attestation of having had chickenpox, (3) obtain flu vaccine during flu season, and (4) show proof of no active TB either by undergoing TB skin testing, chest x-ray, or other manner approved by Akron Children's. With proper medical documentation, these requirements can be waived.
Reports to: Managing Attorney
Salary: Depends on Experience. Excellent working environment and benefit package.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, references, and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org and write ‘Position #1802’ in the email subject line.
Only email submissions will be accepted.
CLAS is an equal opportunity employer.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.