Staff Attorney (Akron Office)
Community Legal Aid is a private non-profit law firm which works to bridge the gap between poverty and justice for those in need. Legal Aid is the primary provider of free civil legal representation to low income and elderly residents of central northeast Ohio, concentrating its efforts on legal work that makes a difference in the lives of those it serves.
The Health Education Advocacy and Law Program (HEAL) at Legal Aid is a medical legal partnership that collaborates with healthcare providers to assist families with legal problems that potentially impact patient health.
- Provides comprehensive, high quality legal services to eligible clients in civil cases in accordance with organizational policies and the Rules of Professional Conduct.
- Creates an effective and efficient office environment to support the provision of high quality legal services.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relations with client groups, community organizations and the state justice community.
- Pursues and maintains personal professional development and contributes to the professional development of others who serve clients and the client community.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Admitted to the practice of law in Ohio or took the Ohio Bar Exam in July 2017 and awaiting results.
- Experience in education law is highly desirable as is a basic understanding of housing, family, public benefits, consumer, bankruptcy and tax law.
- Excellent legal writing and verbal communications skills.
- Demonstrated interest in and sensitivity to the legal needs of the poor as well as motivation to improve the condition of the poor.
- Personal characteristics include: professional attitude, excellent persuasive and interpersonal skills, use of diplomacy and tact.
- Strong working knowledge of legal research tools and Microsoft Office; and high comfort learning and using other software or technology utilized by the firm.
- MPH or experience in health policy is highly desirable.
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable.
- The HEAL Staff Attorney will be expected to go through process to become volunteer with Akron Children’s Hospital and any other medical location with whom HEAL collaborates. [As part of that process, HEAL Staff Attorney will be required to (1) show proof of vaccination for measles, (2) show proof of vaccination for or attestation of having had chickenpox, (3) obtain flu vaccine during flu season, and (4) show proof of no active TB either by undergo TB skin testing, chest x-ray, or other manner approved by Akron Children's. With proper medical documentation, these requirements can be waived.]
Reports To: Managing Attorney
Salary: $40,000+ DOE. Excellent working environment and benefit package.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, references and writing sample to: firstname.lastname@example.org and write Position #1705 in the email subject line. Only email submissions will be accepted.