Court, Legal Aid invest in future attorneys
Law students from Community Legal Aid’s Summer Associates Program spent the day with the 7th District Court of Appeals on Wednesday, July 26th. During their visit, students observed oral arguments, learning first-hand how the Court conducts the arguments and what the Court expects from the attorneys who are presenting the arguments. The judges also met with the students to discuss the appellate process and share their wisdom and insight from the bench.
The immersive experience is part of a collaborative effort between Legal Aid and local courts to prepare students to move from classroom to courtroom.
“We were delighted to host this inquisitive group of law students at our Court and provide such a unique opportunity to observe oral arguments and interact with the judiciary,” stated Judge David A. D’Apolito, Presiding and Administrative Judge at the Seventh District Court. “We hope this experience provided some insight into the practice of appellate law.”
Rachel Nader, advocacy director for Community Legal Aid, explained that the Summer Associates program is designed to provide students with a wide-range of activities that will prepare them for practicing law. Nader added that students often cite court visits as one of the most meaningful experiences of their internship.
Students in the 10-week program also gain experience in legal research, interviewing clients, analyzing evidence, preparing documents, and other skills that support a successful legal career.
The following students participated in this year’s Summer Associate Program:
● Adwoa Ampofo-Addo, University of Akron School of Law
● Sydney Bowden, Cleveland State University College of Law
● Madison Cannon, West Virginia University College of Law
● Alexa Carpenter, Southern University Law Center
● Cara Chiappetta, University of Akron School of Law
● Celeste Hudak, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
● Kaleigh Long, Capital University Law School
● Tatyana Norman-Webler, University of Akron School of Law
● Matthew Palla, University of Akron School of Law
● Samantha Ready, Case Western Reserve University School of Law
● Meghan Schmitt, University of Akron School of Law
● Nick Steel, The Ohio State University
● Mackenzie Syska, University of Akron School of Law
More information about Community Legal Aid’s student programs can be found at www.communitylegalaid.org/students.