Adult Protective Services

From the Ohio Department of Jobs and Family Services. 07-2010

What are adult protective services?

Adult protective services are services that help vulnerable adults age 60 and older who are in danger of harm, are

unable to protect themselves, and may have no one to assist them. The Ohio Department of Job and Family Services (ODJFS) administers the state’s Adult Protective Services program. The agency has the authority to plan and develop programs and write rules and regulations pertaining to adult protective services. It also provides technical assistance to county staff. The county departments of job and family services receive and investigate reports of abuse, neglect and exploitation of vulnerable adults and evaluate the need for protective services.

What types of things are considered abuse?

Abuse is the infliction upon an adult (by one’s self or others) of injury, unreasonable confinement, intimidation or

cruel punishment with resulting physical harm, pain or mental anguish. Maltreatment includes neglect, exploitation, and physical, emotional and sexual abuse.


Is the failure of an adult to provide the goods or services necessary for his or her own safety and/or well-being, such as avoiding physical harm, mental anguish or mental illness, or the failure of a caretaker to provide such goods or services.


Is the unlawful or improper act of a caretaker using an adult or his/her resources for monetary or personal benefit, profit or gain.

Physical abuse

Includes pushing, hitting, slapping, pinching and other ways of physically harming a person. It can also mean placing an individual in incorrect positions, force feeding, restraining or giving medication without their knowledge.

Emotional abuse

Occurs when an elderly person is threatened, humiliated, intimidated or otherwise psychologically  hurt.

Sexual abuse

Includes rape or other unwanted sexual contact, but it can also mean forced or coerced nudity, exhibitionism, and other non-touching sexual situations.

What is the best way to report suspected abuse or neglect of an adult?

To make a report of abuse or neglect, contact the law enforcement agency or the county department of job and

family services in the county where the adult resides or where the incident occurred. To find the phone number

and location of the county agency, go to

Download this sheet by Clicking Here

This article is meant to give you general information and not to give you specific legal advice.Prepared by Community Legal Aid Services, Inc. Updated May 2012. CE-82-F346-ODJFS