Driver's License Suspensions: Limited Driving Privileges

Learn more about your driver’s license suspension.  Get a copy of your unofficial driving record from the Ohio BMV website at .

Not everyone is eligible for Limited Driving Privileges (LDP).  First, the type of suspension must allow for LDP.  Below are some of the most frequent types of suspensions:

12 Point Suspension

  • The suspension is for six months starting on the 20th day after the notice was mailed.
  • The suspension can be appealed if there is a good reason to not suspend driving privileges. The appeal should be filed before the suspension starts.

The reinstatement requirements are:

  • Complete a remedial driving instruction course given by an accredited remedial school.
  • Prove financial responsibility though filing an SR 22 or bond.
  • Retake a complete driver license examination.
  • Pay a reinstatement fee to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Child Support Suspension

  • The Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) can order an indefinite suspension if a driver has not paid child support as ordered or ignored a warrant or subpoena.
  • A driver with this suspension is NOT eligible for LDP.

The reinstatement requirements are:

  • Satisfy CSEA requirements.  Contact the CSEA directly.
  • CSEA will notify the BMV to release the suspension.
  • Pay a reinstatement fee to the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Court Suspension

  • The court decides the length of this suspension.
  • A driver can apply for LDP through the court.
  • A reinstatement fee is required for suspensions over 89 days

Failure to File Crash Report Suspension

BMV will issue this suspension if:

  • a driver is involved in an accident;
  • personal injury or property damage over $400.00 occurred; and
  • a State Crash Report is not filed.
  • A driver with this suspension is NOT eligible for LDP.

The reinstatement requirements are:

  • File a State Crash Report, BMV 3303 with the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Judgment Suspension

A person injured or who has property damage from someone else’s motor vehicle may sue the driver or owner.  The injured person may request the BMV to suspend driving and registration privileges if a judgment from the lawsuit has not been paid for over 30 days.

This judgment suspension is indefinite unless the defendant obtains one of the following:

  • A full release or agreement signed by the plaintiff or plaintiff’s attorney ;
  • A certified court order showing a full release or agreement;
  • A bankruptcy listing the judgment.
  • The driver must file proof of financial responsibility (Form SR-22 or Bond) for three years from the suspension date.
  • BMV may issue a Noncompliance Suspension. This will not happen if the driver has already been suspended for the same accident.

License/Bond Forfeiture Suspension

This suspension occurs when a driver:

  • is charged with a first, second, third or fourth degree misdemeanor;
  • fails to appear in court, pleads guilty or is found guilty; and
  • fails to pay the fine.

The driver’s license and vehicle registration are suspended indefinitely.

The reinstatement requirements are:

  • the driver must appear in court and pay a fine;
  • pay the original fine;
  • pay a reinstatement fee.

Non-Compliance Suspension

  • Any driver or owner who fails to show proof of financial responsibility will lose driving and registration privileges for a minimum of 90 days.  Longer suspensions can occur for a second offense in five years.
  • Registration and license plates may be impounded if the driver owns the vehicle.

To regain driving privileges and registration, the driver or owner must:

  • Serve out the suspension time;
  • File proof of financial responsibility for three years for a first offense and five years for a second offense;
  • Pay a reinstatement fee.
  • The driver may be required to pay a surrender fee.
  • Registration privileges and duplicate license plates may be issued before the end of the suspension if the fees are paid and proof of financial responsibility is filed.

Warrant Block

Note this is not a suspension.

  • The BMV will deny the person named in the block the right to apply for a license or registration.
  • The court must notify the BMV that all outstanding arrest warrants have been satisfied.
  • The person must pay a reinstatement fee.

To obtain limited driving privileges, a driver must:

  • have a valid driver’s license,
  • have proof of financial responsibility,
  • be eligible for privileges (this depends on the type of suspension), and
  • need privileges for occupational, educational, vocational, or medical purposes.

A court may not grant limited driving privileges during any suspension imposed by the BMV unless authorized by law.

Call Community Legal Aid Services (CLAS) after you meet the requirements to obtain limited driving privileges.  You will be required to fax a copy of all documents to CLAS.  CLAS must determine if you qualify for services.  If so, pleadings will be sent to you for filing on your own.  You must represent yourself at court hearings.

This article is meant to give you general information and not to give you specific legal advice.Prepared by Community Legal Aid Services, Inc. Updated May 2012. CE-93-F254-CLAS