What do I do if I get an eviction notice?

When your landlord files an eviction against you, you will get a notice in the mail. That notice will include a date for a hearing in court.

You need to attend that hearing! This is your chance to tell your side of the story and try to fight the eviction, if you want to do that. Download a sample eviction answer here to file with your court.

If you can’t go on the date they give you, you can ask the court to postpone it -- this is called a “continuance.” You have to file this in writing and explain why you can’t attend the original hearing date. You need to file it as soon as possible, and you might have to pay a fee to the court to file it. Download a sample continuance request here to file with your court.

Now, the court can decide whether to grant your continuance and give you this extra time OR to reject it and continue with the original date. If they reject it, you still need to attend the original date.

The other thing to know is that evictions move very quickly in court. So stay on top of the papers you get from court, and contact a lawyer immediately. They can help you decide if you may be able to defend yourself and fight the eviction.

You can contact your local bar association and ask for a lawyer with experience in landlord-tenant law or you can call Legal Aid’s Tenant Assistance Line at (330) 983-2528.