COVID-19: Legal Aid's response to the public health crisis
The health and safety of our clients, advocates, and community are a top priority for us at Community Legal Aid. We are committed to keeping you informed and updated as we continue to respond to the ever-changing landscape surrounding Coronavirus (COVID-19). This web page will house the most up-to-date information regarding our policies and procedures for responding to the public health crisis.
We are doing our part as a community leader to help prevent further spread of the disease. But we remain diligent in our pledge to fight for justice for our impoverished and disadvantaged neighbors.
- We are cancelling or postponing all public events through August 1st. Community members should check our online events listing for the most up-to-date list
- We have suspended walk-in applications and have closed our offices to visitors. Residents who come to a Legal Aid office to apply will be directed to apply online 24/7 or to call our HelpLine during operational hours.
- Current clients should continue to work with their attorneys as planned.
- We are still here and working for our clients. Anyone who needs legal assistance can apply online any time, day or night, or can call our HelpLine during operational hours.
- Any concerns or questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Current Case Priorities
In light of the public health crisis, Legal Aid is prioritizing legal issues that involve client health, safety, and ability to remain in stable housing, including:
- Domestic violence situations
- Housing issues, including avoiding homelessness, lockouts, and unsafe or unhealthy living conditions
- Unemployment assistance and other public benefits, such as food stamps and Medicaid
- Employment issues, especially as they relate to the virus
- Advanced directives and estate planning, healthcare powers of attorney, and living wills
In order to better serve these high-priority issues, Legal Aid currently is not taking cases related to the following:
- Child support
- Custody issues
- Divorce or dissolution
- Probate matters
Recent News/Press Releases
You can view our most recent press releases about our response to the COVID-19 outbreak by visiting our news page.
We're pleased to offer our live Ask A Lawyer events throughout the Covid-19 pandemic. These online events are free and open to the public. To join, simply visit our Facebook page (www.facebook.com/CommLegalAid) at 5:00 p.m. any Wednesday for information about a legal topic related to Covid-19, and for a chance to ask our attorneys questions you have on those topics.
We continue to develop educational pieces for legal issues surrounding the Coronavirus. You can see all available material here.
Eviction proceedings during COVID-19 (also, see our eviction toolkit below)
Information related to evictions
Information related to unemployment assistance
Information related to the CARES Act economic stimulus payment