Licensed Social Worker I, Akron - Position #1914
Licensed Social Worker I
Position Announcement # 1914
Community Legal Aid is a private non-profit law firm which works to bridge the gap between poverty and justice for those in need. Legal Aid is the primary provider of free civil legal representation to low income and elderly residents of central northeast Ohio, concentrating its efforts on legal work that makes a difference in the lives of those it serves.
Job Summary: The Social Worker collaborates with Legal Aid Advocates to facilitate effective client participation in the legal process, by helping clients address barriers to their legal representation. As a new position, the Social Worker will be working with advocacy staff to develop, implement, and improve the social work program.
- Address clients’ barriers to effectively participating in their legal case by maintaining relationship with client; assessing clients’ strengths and challenges; identifying need for outside programs and resources; and supporting clients throughout their cases.
- Collaborate with attorneys and clients to collect information and prepare evidence (documents and testimony) for cases.
- Establish and maintain relationships with other organizations serving low income communities.
- Refer clients to other programs, and advocate for effective and appropriate services to clients from other organizations and agencies.
- Provide crisis prevention and/or intervention.
- Identify outreach opportunities and engage client communities and service providers throughout Legal Aid’s service area. Participate in internal and/or external committees to advance the rights of low income and vulnerable people.
- Contribute to the ongoing development of social work at Legal Aid
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Social Work
- LSW or LISW
- Computer proficiency in MS Office
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Able to establish effective working relationships
- Organized, able to prioritize work, plan and problem-solve, meet deadlines and work well under pressure
- Experience with low-income clients, knowledge of social service agencies in Legal Aid’s service area, and familiarity with the legal system preferred
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable
Location: Akron, OH
Reports To: Managing Attorney
Salary: 33500 + DOE
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate that you are applying for position #1914.
Deadline: Open until filled.
Community Legal Aid Services is an equal opportunity employer.
Minorities and women are encouraged to apply.