Law Student Assistant (Temporary), Akron - Position #1910
Law Student Assistant (Temporary)
Position Announcement # 1910
Community Legal Aid is a private non-profit law firm which works to bridge the gap between poverty and justice for those in need. Legal Aid is the primary provider of free civil legal representation to low income and elderly residents of central northeast Ohio, concentrating its efforts on legal work that makes a difference in the lives of those it serves.
Under the supervision of an attorney, the Law Student will assist in the provision of legal services to eligible clients in accordance with Program priorities and guidelines, including but not limited to:
- Assist in the development of a comprehensive project plan to promote and grow impact litigation, policy advocacy, and leadership development efforts at Legal Aid.
- Assist in building our training program, including developing training curricula, identifying and recruiting attorney faculty, coordinating with faculty to ensure learning objectives are clear and met, executing trainings, and evaluating training effectiveness.
- Assist in building a system to track and support impact litigation and policy advocacy efforts, including complex litigation, appellate work, public comments to proposed legislation and other advocacy efforts.
- Identify and build a resource library to support impact litigation and policy advocacy efforts.
- Such other tasks as may be assigned.
- Demonstrated interest in and sensitivity to the legal needs of the poor as well as motivation to improve the condition of the poor
- Ability to represent Community Legal Aid and to advocate for its mission
- Professional attitude, excellent interpersonal skills, dependability, and a high desire to contribute to an effective and collaborative work environment
- Independent worker with excellent analytical and organizational skills who can think systemically, who has the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines, and who can plan projects, manage their execution, and document results
- First rate oral and written skills
- Thorough working knowledge of all computer programs and office machines used by the firm and ability to learn new programs and machines as required
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable.
Reports To: Deputy Director
Deadline: Immediate Need. Open until filled.
Salary: $15 per hour / 5-10 hours per week, Temporary position October 2019 – May 2020.
Excellent working environment.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and references to: email@example.com and indicate that you are applying for position #1910.