VLSP Staff Attorney, Youngstown - Position #1909
VLSP Staff Attorney
Position Announcement # 1909
Community Legal Aid is a private non-profit law firm which works to bridge the gap between poverty and justice for those in need. Legal Aid is the primary provider of free civil legal representation to low income and elderly residents of central northeast Ohio, concentrating its efforts on legal work that makes a difference in the lives of those it serves.
The Volunteer Legal Services Program (VLSP) improves access to justice both through maintenance of existing private attorney involvement efforts and aggressive development of innovative programs providing high quality legal assistance to clients who would otherwise remain un-represented.
- The VLSP Attorney will improve access to justice both through expansion of private attorney involvement efforts (recruitment, retention, and recognition of private attorneys), assisting in the provision of high-quality pro bono legal service, and aggressive development of innovative programs providing high quality legal assistance to clients who would otherwise remain un-represented.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- The VLSP Attorney should be an individual who has a professional attitude, possesses excellent persuasive abilities, has good interpersonal skills, and uses diplomacy and tact. The successful candidate will have the ability to work effectively with a wide variety of personalities and be strong, self-motivated and creative.
- The VLSP Attorney must be a visionary, while at the same time possessing the organizational skills to pull together detailed projects.
- The VLSP Attorney will need to work with bar associations, professional organizations, and other social service agencies. It is necessary for the VLSP Attorney to meet regularly with private attorneys, law firms, and other community partners, as well as being actively engaged in local and statewide bar association activities and pro bono initiatives.
- The VLSP Attorney will evaluate cases, prepare cases for referral, support and recruit volunteers, and provide litigation and client support. The VLSP Attorney should have significant poverty law experience. A broad range of general civil experience is extremely desirable. The VLSP Attorney will work directly with all pro bono initiatives, including but not limited to the Pro Bono Bankruptcy Program, the clinic program, the Reduced Fee Divorce Program, and other programs/initiatives that arise.
- The VLSP Attorney needs to be available on a daily basis to provide guidance and assistance to volunteers and VLSP staff. Some evening and weekend hours are required.
- Excellent writing and communication skills are a must. Public speaking and training of pro bono attorneys is required.
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable.
Reports to: Managing Attorney
Salary: $47,000.00 + DOE. Excellent working environment and benefit package.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and professional references to: email@example.com and indicate that you’re applying for Position #1909.