Help with Medicare Premiums
YOU MAY BE ELIGIBLE FOR HELP WITH MEDICARE PREMIUMS AND CO-PAYS:
QMB, SLMB, and QI Programs
If you qualify for Medicare, you may also be eligible for help under Medicaid. There are three programs that may help you with health care costs.
1.) The QMB program covers Medicare premiums, deductibles and co-insurance.
To be eligible for QMB, you must have:
- total monthly countable income below $931 (or for a couple, $1261): and
- countable resources below $6940 (or for a couple below $10,410). Some resources or assets are not counted, such as the family home.
2.) The SLMB program pays the full Medicare Part B premium. You must still pay deductibles and co-pays.
To qualify for SLMB, you must have
- countable resources below $6940 (or for a couple below $10,410).
- total monthly income below $1117 (or under $1513 for a couple).
3.) The QI program provides assistance with coverage.
To be eligible for QI, you must have:
- total monthly income below $1257 (or below $1703 for couples).
Apply at the County Department of Job and Family Services for these programs. You may also qualify for Medicaid spend-down. To be eligible, your monthly medical expenses must be more than the monthly spend-down amount. If so, your medical and prescription expenses should be covered by Medicaid.
For further information please call your County Department of Job and Family Services.
This article is meant to give you general information and not specific legal advice.Prepared by Community Legal Aid Services, Inc. Updated April, 2012. CE-52-F183-CLAS