VLSP Paralegal Akron - Position #1905
Community Legal Aid is a private non-profit law firm which works to bridge the gap between poverty and justice for those in need. Legal Aid is the primary provider of free civil legal representation to low income and elderly residents of central northeast Ohio, concentrating its efforts on legal work that makes a difference in the lives of those it serves.
Under the supervision of the HelpLine Supervising Attorney, the VLSP Paralegal will assist in the provision of comprehensive, high quality legal services to eligible clients in civil cases in accordance with organizational policies and the Ohio Rules of Professional Conduct. The HelpLine is Community Legal Aid’s centralized intake system that accepts application for service by telephone and through an online application portal.
Client Eligibility: The VLSP Paralegal will have primary responsibility for timely and accurately determining client eligibility for clients seeking assistance from Legal Aid through the HelpLine, including interviewing the client, accurately recording information in the client database, conflict checking and other screening. The VLSP Paralegal will spend the majority of work time taking live calls from clients seeking assistance from the HelpLine or contacting clients by telephone to obtain additional information necessary to complete an application for assistance.
The VLSP Paralegal may:
- provide professional support in a wide variety of civil cases, including interviewing and screening of clients, working with clients to gather relevant documents, drafting of letters, affidavits, basic legal pleadings and other documents, tracking case status and ensuring that deadlines are met and otherwise assisting attorneys
- complete assigned office administrative duties
- be asked to assume a leadership role for specific projects
- perform other duties as required
- Demonstrated interest in and sensitivity to the legal needs of the poor as well as motivation to improve the condition of the poor,
- Ability to work effectively in a high-pressure call center environment,
- Ability to represent Community Legal Aid and to advocate for its mission,
- Professional attitude excellent interpersonal skills, dependability and a high desire to contribute to an effective and collaborative work environment,
- Independent worker with excellent analytical and organizational skills who can think systemically, who has the ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines, and who can plan projects, manage their execution, and document results,
- First rate oral and written skills,
- Thorough working knowledge of all computer programs and office machines used by the firm and ability to learn new programs and machines as required,
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours to suit the needs of clients and the firm, specifically the ability to work into the early evening to conduct intake screening by telephone or at clinics and possible work at a Saturday morning clinic,
- Although not absolutely required, a college degree is preferable,
- Notary public or ability to become one immediately following hiring
- Ability to speak Spanish is highly desirable
Reports To: HelpLine Supervising Attorney
Salary: $26,100.00 + DOE. Excellent working environment and benefit package.
Deadline: Open until filled.
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume and references to: firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate that you are applying for Position #1905.