Learning is for Everyone Project
The Learning is for Everyone (LIFE) Project supports Community Legal Aid's mission by ensuring that students have the supports they need to succeed in school. Project staff works with parents and care-givers to advocate for children with special needs, address root causes in educational disparities, and provide holistic legal services to families experiencing homelessness.
The LIFE Project partners with Akron Public Schools and United Way Summit & Medina to support an advocate onsite at the Family Resource Center at North High School on Tuesdays and Thursday from 8:30AM - 4:30PM.
Project staff may assist with the following matters:
- Individual Education Plans (IEP); 504 plans
- School discipline proceedings
- Truancy concerns
- Immigration issues
- Eviction and other housing concerns
- Record sealing and driver's license reinstatement
- Self-help assistance for custody or guardianship
- Protection orders
- Obtaining or maintaining public benefits
Legal Aid is currently piloting this model in Akron and hopes to replicate it in other struggling urban school districts, namely Youngstown, Warren, and Canton. This project is supported by funding from United Way of Summit & Medina.