Who We Are
What is Community Legal Aid?
Somewhere in our community...
- A family is facing homelessness.
- A senior is living in fear of predatory collectors.
- A child with disabilities is struggling to stay in school.
- A battered woman is stuck in a cycle of violence.
- A veteran is going hungry.
These stories represent our clients, and they happen every day in our community. Most often, these situations arise because our poor populations don't know about our can't get access to the resources they need.
Through Community Legal Aid, our clients overcome the chaos brought on by legal troubles. They regain control of and stabilize their lives by securing the benefits they've earned, reducing violence and discrimination, and preserving their dignity and independence.
Our work gives strength and commitment to America's promise of justice for all.
Community Legal Aid specializes in poverty law and is devoted to providing free, high-quality civil legal services to those in need in eight counties throughout central northeast Ohio.
We are dedicated to improving the lives of those in need by providing legal information and representation to those seeking to achieve and maintain self-sufficiency.
Services We Offer
- Screening for those seeking legal assistance
- Legal information, advice, and representation for qualifying clients
- Community education on legal issues
- Public advocacy and awareness of the needs of low-income individuals and families
- Continuing legal education workshops and trainings for attorneys, social workers, and other collaborative partners
- Partnership with and training for community organizations who work with the poor so that they may better serve their clients
Community Legal Aid has several key priorities that we strive to achieve in all we do. These areas of need serve as beacons for our work with clients, in the community, and through advocacy.
Supporting Low-income Families and Special Populations
Central to our work is providing support for low-income individuals and families, as well as for special, vulnerable populations, including the elderly, those with language, cultural, or educational barriers, those with disabilities, and veterans.
Preserving the Home
We prioritize cases that support access to affordable and safe housing, both public and private.
Maintaining Economic Stability
Families and individuals must be economically viable in order to survive. To this end, we work toward prevention of unemployment, resolution to issues with the IRS, protection from predatory lending and unfair sales practices, and income stability for those disabled or otherwise unable to obtain employment.
Ensuring Safety & Health
We prioritize cases that support safety from domestic violence, stalking, and sexual assault. Additionally, we work to preserve health for individuals and communities through individual representation and policy advocacy.
Protecting Access to Justice
Community Legal Aid places a high priority on activities designed to involve the entire community in ensuring access to justice. We place special attention on pro bono services of the private bar, education of organizations serving low-income clients, advocacy at regional and national levels on our priorities, and responding to the needs of the local communities we serve.